Gluten Free Brezn (Pretzel)
Who doesn't like a soft, salty Pretzel. These South German morsels are simply divine. And we have an easy recipe for you to make the tasty treat yourself. You can either shape them into Pretzels or shape them into long thin baguette-style or round buns and fill them with your favourite filling. And the best part? They are not only gluten free but dairy free and vegan too! You can whip these up in under 1 hour and you don't need any fancy ingredients.
What you need:
For the dough:
300g gluten free flour (we used Edmonds Standard Flour)
1 tsp salt
200ml lukewarm water
13g dried instant yeast (we used Bakels)
2 tbsp white vinegar
1tbsp vegetable oil
For the brine:
1 litre of water
40g baking soda
1) Combine the flour and first measure of salt in a bowl of your stand mixer (you can mix it by hand if you prefer). Preheat your oven to 240°C (upper/lower heat) or 220°C (fan forced - in this case recommended).
2) Add the yeast and sugar to the lukewarm water and stir until dissolved. Let it stand until it starts to froth (approx 5-10 minutes)
3) Now add the yeast water, oil and vinegar to the flour mix and beat it for 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little bit more water.
4) Let the dough rest while you prepare the brine.
5) In a large enough pot combine the water with the baking soda. Bring it to the boil and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn it to low.
6) Tip the dough onto a floured surface and divide into 6 equal pieces. Shape the dough into Pretzels or buns.
7) Dip each pretzel/bun for 30 seconds into the low simmering brine. Carefully turn it around with a slotted spoon to make sure it is all covered. Carefully take the dough out and place onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with the rest of the Pretzels/Buns.
8) Now put the Pretzels/Buns straight into the oven and bake at the hot temperature for 5 minutes before reducing the heat to 200°C (upper/lower heat) or 180°C Fan forced and bake for further 12-15 minutes.
9) Take the Pretzels/Buns out of the oven and let them cool a little. Enjoy!!!