This epic recipe gives you a giant pie-style burger. You can tweak the fillings to your liking but we had cheese, burger sauce, gherkins and tomatoes on top of the mince. Other filling ideas are:
- Crispy bacon
- Onion rings
- Chilli peppers
- Fried Mushrooms
- any type of sauce
To make the "Bun":
1x 600g Bakels Artisan Bread Mix
(prepared to instruction but we swapped the water with warm milk (use dairy free if needed) and the oil with margarine/butter to create a more "briochey"-style dough.)
1kg Beef mince (but feel free to swap it with any other mince )
1tsp smoked paprika
1/2 diced onion
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tsp salt
1tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp gf soy sauce
plus any Burger topping you like i.e. cheese, gherkins, burger sauces, tomatoes etc
1 egg for egg wash
How to make your Giant Oven Burger:
1) Follow the instructions of the Bakels baking mix to make the dough. Substitue the water with milk and the oil with margarine or butter if you want a more brioche style dough. Let the dough rest while you make the filling.
2) Fry the beef in a large frying pan and flavour with all the ingredients except the Burger toppings.
3) Line a large (22 - 24cm ø) round spring cake form with baking paper. Split the dough into 4 portions. Use 3 portions to line the bottom and sides of the baking dish.
4) Put the Mince on top of the dough and top it with your toppings as you like.
5) Roll out the last portion of dough and cut it to size as a lid. Make sure its big enough to cover the sides so you can pinch the dough together to avoid major leaks. Cover the burger.
6) Brush the top with egg wash (1 beaten egg) and sprinkle it with sesame seeds.
7) Bake at 180°C (upper/lower heat) or 170°C Fan forced for 50 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes before getting it out of the tin. If you have an electric knife, use it. Otherwise any good serrated knife will do. Serve it with fries and enjoy!!