What you need:
6 ½ cups GF Flour (we used Bezgluten Multi Mix as it has Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum already added - otherwise add 1tbsp XG and 1 tsp GG to your Mix)
2 tbsp Psyllium Husks
1 ½ tsp salt
2 ¼ cups Milk (use Lactose free if needed
200 g unsalted butter (if you use salted butter, use less salt in the dry mix)
1 heaped tbsp honey
1 generous tbsp dried yeast
5 eggs lightly beaten
Egg wash (1 egg yolk mixed with a little milk)
How to make the dough:
- Mix the dry ingredients in your bowl for your stand mixer ( you can use a hand mixer, use the dough attachments though)
- In a pot, carefully heat up the milk to 40 degrees (a bit warmer than body temp). Add the honey and butter and let the butter melt. Once the butter is melted and the mix is not too warm, add the dried yeast and dissolve. Add into your dry mix.
- Add the 5 lightly beaten eggs to the mix and beat the whole mixture for 5 minutes until it is smooth (It will look more like cake batter, but the resting time will help it to firm up a little)
- Let the dough rest, covered, for at least 45 minutes
- Now you can either shape the dough into buns ( this mix will make 8 – 10 big burger buns) or two loaves ( in 25 cm x 15 cm tins lined with baking paper). We used a ladle to help shape the dough for buns. You can shape the sough with wet hands to look smooth.
- Let the dough rest again while heating up the oven to 180 degrees ( 190 fan forced)
- Lightly brush the shaped dough with the egg wash. Bake in the oven for 15 – 17 Minutes (buns) or 40 Minutes (loaves). Cool on cooling rack.
- Enjoy fresh brioche! It makes great French Toast when a day or two old.