Puff Pastry Recipe
(Takes 4+ hours to make but you will be rewarded with great flaky pastry)
250g Flour Mix ( we use Bezgluten Multi Mix for great results)
150ml ice cold water
225g cold unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
Extra flour for dusting
Egg wash made out of 1 egg yolk and 2 table spoons milk
1) Combine the flour mix, salt and cold water in the bowl of a stan mixer and knead with the hook attachment until ccombined. Add the cold butter cubes and continue to mix a little, keeping lumps of butter in the dough (this is very important for the turn out of the pastry!).
2) Now flatten the dough to a rectangle, wrap it in glad wrap and rest it in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
3) Get the dough out/ Put it onto a long sheet of baking paper, dusted with gf flour. Roll the dough into a long strip and fold it with the help of the baking paper. Fold the left side first to 2/3 of the strip, then fold the 1/3 from the right over the top. Wrap the dough and chill it in the fridge for 20 – 30 minutes.
4) Get the dough out and turn it 90 degrees onto your baking paper. Roll it out again into a long strip, making sure you dust the dough a little so the butter pieces don’t stick to the rolling pin/ baking paper. This time fold both sides to half way and then fold the dough again (always the same direction). Wrap it and chill again for 20-30 minutes.
5) Repeat step 3 and step 4 again, making sure you turn the dough 90 degrees before rolling it and chilling it in between. This will create the layers of your dough.
6) If you want to use the dough not straight away, keep it in the fridge until you are ready to use. The dough can be frozen.
7) Use this puff pastry to shape it into flaky sticks, for pastries or croissants. Please be aware that if you have too many layers, the end result will be doughy. One to two layers work best, loosely rolled and then glazed with the egg wash.
8) Bake the pastry at 220 degrees for 13 minutes unfilled or 25-30 minutes filled.